12 January 2009

Noa's words about Eurovision

Hello friends,
As some of you might have heard, I will be representing Israel in the Eurovision song contest in May, together with my good friend Mira Awad.

I imagine this may come as a surprise to some of you……

I had been offered this position in the past and refused. This year I agreed, with the goal of using this huge media platform (many millions of viewers) as a means to convey a message of peace in these difficult times, together with my friend Mira . We will write and perform the song together, in Hebrew, Arabic, and English. With a message such as this, and artistic freedom , I am proud to represent Israel in the Eurovision.

Mira Awad is a Palestinian-Israeli singer/songwriter/actress. We have collaborated often in the past 8 years. She is a gem, a brave, talented unique woman. She represents 1.5 million Palestinians living in Israel as Israeli citizens.

The war in Gaza is a horrible tragedy for all of us, as all our many wars and acts of terror have been over the years. The innocent lives lost, year after year, are heart-breaking and unbearable for both sides.

Mira and I want to convey a message of peace and dialogue during these difficult times, to show that co-existence is STILL an option, our only one!
Our friendship is living proof of this.
We have not lost hope!
To quote the one and only Leonard Cohen:
“Ring the bell that still can ring,

Forget your perfect offering,

There is a crack in everything,

That’s how the light gets in”



Sending you all my best wishes, shalom and saalam,

Noa (Achinoam Nini)

No comments:

Post a Comment